Monday, August 1, 2011

Tennessee Birding I

This past week I had the pleasure of vacationing in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. During which on many mornings I was able to go on birding walks along the long driveway of our cabin. I also saw and photographed some birds on some hikes in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. This series of blog posts will document my sights.

Here are the birds I saw on my first birding walk of the trip.

#1
I recognize these guys!

Two American Goldfinches (males)

#2
I've spent way too long trying to figure out what this one is. I'm thinking it might be a Nashville Warbler, but I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to have a full eye ring, which is making me second guess. Unfortunately I was only able to get a few shots of it and they all show about the same view.

Nashville Warbler?
#3
This bird was nearby, so maybe it's the same? Juvenile? I'm even more clueless on this one.

Juvenile Nashville Warbler?
I was able to get some more shots of this one (at least I think it's the same one):

Juvenile Nashville Warbler?

These birds were hopping around the trees along the driveway/forest edge. Please help if you have any ideas!

#4
And one that I know! This robin let me get very close (less then 10 feet).

Immature American Robin
It found a worm on the gravel road:

Immature American Robin finds a worm
And proceeded to gobble it up. It looks like something might be wrong with it's left eye.

That's all for my first of many to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment