Thursday, June 9, 2011

My first ever "birding" expedition

I went on my first ever birding expedition last weekend. I brought along my binoculars and camera, obviously, and did some hiking at Eagle Creek Park. Not knowing what I'm doing, I more or less just walked around keeping my eyes and ears out for birds. In the woods I didn't see very many. I could hear them, but rarely saw them. I did manage to see one bird in the woods through the binoculars, however, it moved so quickly I didn't get a good look - all I could say is that it was grayish and sparrow-sized - I didn't notice much color. Perhaps a thrasher? I don't know and didn't have time to get a photo.

Out around the reservoir, it was easier to see them due to less foliage. I didn't take many photos, but here are a few that I took:

Female Red-winged Blackbird
I'm not sure what this next one is. It flew by while I was taking photos of the blackbird so I snapped a quick picture of it and was surprised when I looked at it later. I think it looks like an Orchard Oriole, but I'm not certain. I'm also not sure what's in his mouth.

Male Orchard Oriole?
I also saw but didn't photograph: some Cedar Waxwings (I think), and an American Coot. I saw some others, but couldn't get good enough looks at them to identify them or even describe them.

All in all, I'd say it was pretty successful and I enjoyed it and look forward to doing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment