Monday, June 6, 2011

I love birds

Lately I've become more and more interested in birds. This seems to have been a slow development in my life which started at a very young age. When I was young, my favorite animal was the Bald Eagle and I probably would still make that claim (although I'm less inclined to have a single favorite anymore). I used to want to be a bird. More recently, I have a thing for Robins - I just love how peaceful and patient they are bopping around waiting to feel a worm move under their feet (which I think is just incredible), not to mention their pretty colors. More recently, I have enjoyed watching an Eastern Phoebe nesting on our front porch, which is another beautiful and peaceful bird. It just amazes me how many different types of birds there are of all shapes, sizes, colors, and with different skills.

Last year my parents gave me a really nice set of binoculars for my birthday. And I have always been interested in photography and just recently have purchased a longer telephoto lens, which has made bird photography more possible (although still requiring a rather large amount of cropping). These tools make this hobby easier and more enjoyable.

So, this blog will be where I post my bird-related adventures as I attempt to learn how to be a "birder" or partake in the act of "birding" as it seems to be called. This is a sister blog to my gardening blog Adventures In Gardening, which has been "cluttered" up with many backyard nature-related posts since it's inception earlier this year, so these posts will be made here instead from now on.

My first posts will be some birds that I have seen/photographed over the past few years. Please feel free to chime in with information or corrections as I am a complete newbie and eager to learn more.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment